Top | Megan Scott
(recipe, Megan Scott)
A recipe by the Southern chef Scott Peacock inspired this recipe.
- ½ lb. tender okra, caps removed and thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 ear of corn, kernels cut from the cob
- ½ cup white or yellow cornmeal (medium or fine, not coarse)
- ½ cup water
- 1 egg
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- Peanut or vegetable oil for frying
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients except the frying oil.
- Heat about 3 tablespoons of the oil in a nonstick skillet over medium to medium-high heat until hot. Using a ¼-cup measure, scoop portions of the fritter mixture into the skillet and flatten. Fry until golden brown, about 4 minutes, then flip and fry 4 minutes longer, until both sides are brown and crisp.
- Drain on paper towels and serve warm.