Top | Ivy Manning
Whole-Wheat Pasta Puttanesca
(recipe, Ivy Manning)
This recipe comes from Ivy Manning's story on healthy eating.
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 4 good-quality anchovies, chopped and smashed with knife
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 can (28 ounces) whole plum tomatoes
- ½ cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 tsp. capers, rinsed and chopped
- ½ tsp. red chile flakes
- 14 oz. whole-wheat spaghetti or linguini
- ½ cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and sauté until the garlic is golden; remove the garlic and discard. Add the anchovies and sauté, stirring constantly, until they begin to disintergrate. Add the cherry tomatoes and sauté until the tomatoes have collapsed. Meanwhile, squish the canned tomatoes into little bits and add them to the pan with their juices. Add the olives, oregano, capers, and chile flakes. Bring to a gentle simmer and cover.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook, stirring frequently, until the pasta is al dente, about 8 minutes. Drain pasta, setting aside 1 cup of the pasta cooking water. Toss the pasta with the sauce and cheese, adding a bit of pasta cooking water if necessary to coat the pasta. Season with salt and pepper and serve.