Top | Jamsa, Salsas, Sauces, Condiments
(recipe, Katie Hickey)
This is a simple, bright, peppery pesto that is super easy to make and has no cheese, so it's Laura-friendly. The first time I made it, I used walnuts, but I bet pistachios would also be wonderful. I also threw in some lemon zest, which was great.
- 2 oz. arugula (about 2 cups, packed)
- ⅓ cup olive oil (about)
- ¼ cup toasted walnuts or shelled pistachios, lightly toasted
- 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- zest of 1 lemon (optional)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Place arugula in the bowl of a food processor or blender. Add nuts, garlic, lemon and red pepper flakes. Pulse to combine. Slowly drizzle in olive oil and pulse/process until smooth and at your desired consistency, about 30 seconds. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Use immediately or store, refrigerated in an airtight container, for 1 day. Bring to room temperature before serving.