(recipe, Ruth Reichl & Gourmet Editors)
These candied kumquats are a simple, colorful topping to dress up a bowl of vanilla ice cream.
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- 2 cups halved kumquats (leaves and seeds discarded)
- Bring the water, sugar, and salt to a boil in a saucepan; stir the mixture until the sugar has dissolved.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Add halved kumquats and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally for 10 to 12 minutes or until tender.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer kumquats to a heatproof bowl.
- Boil syrup for 3 to 7 minutes, until reduced to about ¾ cup. Pour syrup over kumquats and cool before serving over ice cream.