Top | Breads
Fresh Ginger Muffins (with or without Cranberries)
(recipe, Katie Hickey)
I modified this recipe (originally from Marion Cunningham), and it is delightful.
- Generous ¼ cup grated fresh ginger
- ¾ cup plus 3 Tbsp sugar
- zest of 1 lemon or 2 limes
- ¾ cup butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¾ tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup chopped fresh cranberries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a muffin tin.
- Put the ginger and ¼ cup sugar in a small skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring, until the sugar has melted and the mixture is hot. Don't walk away- it only takes a couple minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, blend the flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the zest and rest of the sugar. Add to the ginger mixture, and mix in the butter, eggs and buttermilk. Add wet ingredients to the dry and mix until just blended. Stir in the chopped cranberries.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tin, and bake 18-20 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Serve warm (or room temp).