Top | Soups
Kale and Potato Soup (Caldo Verde)
(recipe, Katie Hickey)
This soup is perfect winter food. Typically, caldo verde has chorizo, but this vegetarian version is healthy and rich.
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- salt to taste
- 1¾ to 2 lb. starchy potatoes, peeled and chopped
- a bouquet garni made of a bay leaf, a couple sprigs each of parsley, thyme, and a parmesean rind
- 1 lb. kale, stemmed and washed
- fresh pepper
- 1. Heat one Tbsp oil over medium heat in a large heavy soup pot, and add the onion. Cook, Stirring until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ½ tsp salt. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Stir in the potatoes, the bouquet garni, and 2 quarts of water. Bring to a boil, add a bit more salt, reduce the heat, and cover and simmer 30-40 minutes until potatoes are falling apart. Remove bouquet garni.
- 2. While soup is simmering, prepare the kale. Stack the leaves, about 6-8 to a stack, and chiffonade.
- 3. When the potatoes are falling apart, mash them in the pot with a potato masher or blend with a hand blender. Stir the kale into the soup and simmier 10-15 minutes, uncovered. The kale should be tender but not drab olive green. Taste, adjust salt and pepper. Stir in the remaining olive oil and serve with crusty bread.