Top | Salads: Beyond the Bowl
Arugula, Golden Cherries, Marcona Almonds and Parmigiano-Reggiano
(recipe, Mindy Fox)
Though inspired by golden cherries from the farmers' market, this pretty salad can be made with any sort of fresh or frozen cherry. Marcona almonds hail from Spain; their toasty, slightly sweet and salty flavor is a great match to the fruit. Toasted whole almonds and a few pinches of sea salt can be substituted.
- ½ lb. fresh cherries, pitted, or 2 cups frozen pitted cherries, thawed and drained
- ½ lb. baby or wild arugula
- 2 oz. Parmigiano-Reggiano or Gran Padano cheese, thinly shaved (¾ cup)
- ½ cup Marcona almonds, coarsely chopped
- 3 Tbsp. very good extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. white-wine vinegar
- Flaky coarse sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the cherries in half lengthwise and place in a large serving bowl. Add the arugula, cheese, and almonds. Drizzle with oil and vinegar, crush a few generous pinches of salt over the top, and season generously with pepper. Taste and adjust the seasoning, if necessary.