Top | Vijaysree Venkatraman
(recipe, Vijaysree Venkatraman)
Sundal is a traditional South Indian chickpea dish and beach snack. If you can't find fresh curry leaves (available at any Indian grocery store), sprinkle some fresh chopped cilantro over the finished dish instead.
- Vegetable oil, for sautéing
- 1 dried whole red chile or 1 fresh serrano chile, halved and deseeded
- 1 small pinch ground asafetida
- 1 sprig fresh curry leaves
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tbsp. grated coconut (fresh, frozen, or dried)
- ½ Roma tomato, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Put two teaspoons of the oil in a medium sauté pan and turn the heat to medium. As the oil becomes hot, add the chile, asafetida, and curry leaves; don’t let the oil smoke. Add the chickpeas and sauté for a few minutes. Stir in the coconut and tomatoes and add salt to taste. Serve hot.