Top | pasta
Vegan Mac & Cheese
(recipe, Ingrid Lundin)
This is an AMAZING vegan mac & cheese recipe, from chef Chloe Coscarelli (http://www.chefchloe.com/blog/2-blog/28-the-best-vegan-mac-n-cheese.html). It has a rich, umami flavor - salty savory-ness. It's way healthier than the cheesy kind, yet serves its purpose as total comfort food. I like to top this with kimchi, crumbled and toasted tempeh, and hot sauce. This version uses red russian kale instead of broccoli for the greens.
(NOTE BY INGRID: I use gluten-free brown rice pasta; I add cayenne & mustard to sauce; I use less earth balance, and a bit less almond milk. Broccoli is great, or chop up a head of kale and throw it into the pasta water for the last minute of cooking to blanch.)
- 1 lb. Piccolini pasta
- ¼ cup soy-free earth balance
- ⅓ cup flour
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. tahini
- 2 Tbsp. miso paste
- ½ cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 2 cups non-dairy milk (I use almond or rice)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen broccoli florets (If using fresh, steam for about 5 minutes until al dente)
- optional: 1 tablespoon agave
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Cook pasta according to package direction.
- In medium sauce pot over medium flame, melt earth balance and whisk in flour until thick roux has formed.
- Add tomato paste, tahini, miso, nutritional yeast, almond milk, and whisk together. Add broccoli and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Generously season with salt and pepper to taste. If sweeter flavor is desired, add agave.
- Toss with hot pasta and enjoy the sound of suctioning noodles as you mix. If you prefer to make it "saucier," add some extra non-dairy milk. Be prepared for seconds!