Top | Basics
(recipe, Kim Carlson)
This garlicky pesto is delicious with spinach pasta.
- 10 garlic scapes
- ½ cup hazelnuts
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice, to taste
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more to taste
- Remove the flowers from the scapes and chop the stems. You should have about 1 cup chopped scapes.
- Combine the scapes, nuts, Parmesan, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, salt, and olive oil in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the pesto reaches the consistency you like; you may need to add up to 3 tablespoons additional olive oil or more lemon juice, to taste.
- Store pesto in a glass jar in the refrigerator; it will keep for at least 10 days.
Variations: If the garlicky flavor of this pesto proves too powerful for you (which may be the case, especially if you use scapes that are very mature), substitute 1 cup chopped parsley for half of the scapes.