Top | Chez Panisse Pasta, Pizza, Calzone
Fresh Morels, Garden Carrots, and Linguine
(recipe, Alice Waters)
- ½ lb. fresh morels
- 3 shallots
- 8 to 10 baby carrots
- Several sprigs each of fresh chervil, thyme, and parsley
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. sweet butter
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup reduced chicken stock
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- Lemon juice
- Linguine for 4
- Slice the morels thin. Peel and dice the shallots. Peel the small carrots and cut them into a fine julienne. Pluck the leaves of the chervil and thyme and finely chop them together. Finely chop the parsley.
- Sauté the mushrooms and shallots in butter for a few minutes. Add the carrots, chervil, and thyme, and season with salt and pepper. Sauté for another few minutes, then add the stock and cream. Let the sauce gently reduce by about a third, but do not allow it to become too thick. Taste for salt and pepper, and add a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Cook the pasta and mix it into the cream with the vegetables. Serve garnished with the chopped parsley.