Top | Nathan Krishnamurthy
Creamy Tangy Coleslaw
(recipe, Nathan Krishnamurthy)
- 1 head Savoy cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, cut in matchsticks or grated
- 2 sweet bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 5 to 10 scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp. dill pickle or sweet pickle relish
- ½ cup crème fraîche
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 3 Tbsp. apple-cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. mustard powder
- 1 tsp. celery seed
- 1 tsp. red-pepper flakes
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Fresh ricotta cheese (optional)
- Purge the sliced cabbage of excess water and bitterness by sprinkling it with several tablespoons of salt and straining it in a colander for two hours. Soak the cabbage in water to remove the salt, then strain or spin dry.
- Combine the cabbage with the carrot, peppers, scallions, and relish in a large bowl. Separately whisk together the crème fraîche, buttermilk, vinegar, mustard powder, celery seed, and red-pepper flakes.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the vegetables, using just enough sauce to bind the coleslaw. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Optionally, add a half cup of fresh ricotta cheese for an even creamier slaw.