Top | Soups
Yellow Split Pea Dhal Recipe
(recipe, Matthew Barker)
Yellow Split Pea Dhal Recipe. Dhal, sometimes spelled dahl or dal, is a staple of Indian vegetarian cuisine. This easy recipe is for a basic vegetarian and vegan yellow split-pea dhal. Serve with rice, or, add extra liquid to make a more soup-like dhal. Caution - it's got a bit of a kick! This easy dhal recipe is very low in fat and is also low-calorie.
- 1 cup yellow split peas, uncooked
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- ¼ tsp. cayenne
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. margarine
- 1 onion, diced
- 1½ tsp. cumin, whole seeds or ground
- 2 whole cloves
- dash pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, place the peas and water or vegetable broth, and bring to a slow simmer. Add the turmeric, cayenne and salt, and cover. Allow to cook for at least 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a large skillet or frying pan, heat the onion, cumin and clove in the margarine. Cook for 4 to 6 minutes, until onion is soft. Add the onion and spices to the split peas, and allow to simmer for at least 5 more minutes.
- Add a dash of pepper and more salt, if desired, and serve hot with rice or alone in a soup bowl.
- Nutritional information (from Calorie Count):
- Calories: 207
- Fat: 3.5 g; Saturated Fat: .6 g
- Cholesterol: 0mg, 0%
- Total Carbohydrates: 32.8g, 11%
- Dietary Fiber: 13.2g, 53%; Protein: 12.5g