Top | Molto Gusto
Cauliflower with Olives
(recipe, Mario Batali)
- 1 medium head cauliflower (about 2 pounds), trimmed, halved lengthwise, cored, and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Maldon or other flaky sea salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- ½ cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 3 Tbsp. salt-packed capers, rinsed and soaked overnight in cold water (change the water several times)
- 1½ tsp. hot red pepper flakes (optional)
- 3 Tbsp. lemon agrumato oil, or 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil plus ½ tsp. grated lemon zest
- Preheat the broiler. Toss the cauliflower with the olive oil in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper. Spread out in a single layer on a large baking sheet (set the bowl aside) and broil 4 inches from the heat source, stirring occasionally, for 15 to 17 minutes, or until lightly charred in spots and just tender.
- Return the cauliflower to the bowl, add the olives, capers, red pepper flakes, if using, and lemon oil, and toss to mix well. Taste and season with more salt and/or pepper if necessary. Serve, or let stand at room temperature for up to 1 hour to bring out the flavors.
The cauliflower can be refrigerated for up to 3 days; bring to room temperature before serving.