Top | Adam Higgs
New Orleans Style Barbecue Shrimp
(recipe, Adam Higgs)
For the shrimp
- 1½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1½ tsp. cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp. Creole seasoning (any salt-free version)
- 3 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh garlic
- 2 Tbsp. cooking oil (vegetable oil or a canola/olive oil blend)
- 14 large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup white wine
- ½ lemon, in wedges
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- Cooked rice or hot French bread
- In a small bowl, combine the pepper, Creole seasoning, Worcestershire, and garlic to form a thick paste.
- Heat a skillet (not nonstick) over medium-high heat. Add the oil and shrimp, season with salt, and stir in the Worcestershire paste. Add the white wine and lemon wedges. Cook until the shrimp are pink and the wine has reduced. Lower the heat to medium, and add the butter. Stir continuously until the butter has melted. Do not bring this back to a boil! Boiling will cause the sauce to “break," and you will not recover it.
- Serve with hot French bread, or over rice.