Top | Sandwiches, etc.
Indian-Spiced Chicken Pitas
(recipe, Karen M. Vohs)
Make a perfect summer supper for two: Grill spice-rubbed chicken breasts and tuck them into whole-wheat pitas along with fresh vegetables and a tangy yogurt sauce.
- 8 ounce(s) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- ¾ teaspoon(s) garam masala (see Tips & Techniques), divided
- ¾ teaspoon(s) kosher salt, divided
- ½ cup(s) thinly sliced seeded cucumber
- 6 tablespoon(s) nonfat plain yogurt
- 1½ teaspoon(s) chopped fresh cilantro or mint
- 1 teaspoon(s) lemon juice
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 (6-inch) whole-wheat pitas, warmed
- ½ cup(s) shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 small small tomato, sliced
- ⅛ cup(s) thinly sliced red onion
- Preheat grill to medium-high or position rack in upper third of oven and preheat broiler. If grilling, oil the grill rack (see Tips & Techniques). If broiling, coat a broiler pan with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle chicken with ½ teaspoon garam masala and ¼ teaspoon salt. Place the chicken on the grill rack or prepared pan and cook until no longer pink in the center and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 165°F, 4 to 8 minutes per side, depending on the size of the breast. Transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine cucumber, yogurt, cilantro (or mint), lemon juice, the remaining ¼ teaspoon garam masala, and ⅛ teaspoon salt and pepper in a small bowl. Thinly slice the chicken. Split open the warm pitas and fill with the chicken, yogurt sauce, lettuce, tomato, and onion.