Top | Home Made
Sweet Potato Soup with Buttered Cashews
(recipe, Yvette Van Boven)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 leeks, washed and cut into rounds
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- Dab of butter
- 1 glass white wine
- 4 cups veal or chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- Pinch of cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 can (14 oz.) chickpeas
- A few sprigs of fresh oregano
- 4 Tbsp. cashews
- 5 tsp. butter
- Sea salt
- 1 Tbsp. crème fraîche per bowl
- Braise the onion, leeks, sweet potatoes, and garlic in the butter and add the white wine. Blend in the broth as well as the bay and cayenne pepper. Simmer on low heat for 25 minutes.
- Remove half of the vegetables from the pan and purée the other half with a hand blender. Replace the removed vegetables and add the chickpeas and a few leaves of fresh oregano.
- Serve the soup in individual large bowls, each with 1 tablespoon cashew nuts (briefly fried in the butter and sprinkled with a little sea salt) and a generous dollop of crème fraîche.