Top | main dish dinners
Chickpeas in Spicy Tomato Gravy
(recipe, Suzanne Cruzen)
This classic Punjabi dish called masaledar cholas, is often served as part of a big Sunday lunch, along with raita, naan and salad.
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 jalepeños, chopped
- One 2 " piece of ginger, peeled & chopped
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 3 onions, diced
- 2 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp. ground coriander
- ¾ tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1½ cups canned diced tomatoes
- Two 15 oz cans chickpeas drained & rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 2 Tbsp. cilantro leaves
- In mini food processor, combine the garlic, jalepeños, and ginger and process to a paste. In a large, deep nonstick skillet, heat the oil. Add the onions and cook over moderately high heat until sizzling, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat and cook just until lightly browned, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic mixture and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and simmer over moderate heat until thickened, about 6 minutes. Add the chickpeas and water and simmer until the chickpeas are coated and flavored with the gravy, maybe 10 minutes. Season the chickpeas with salt, and garnish with cilantro leaves.
- Serve with yogurt and naan.
- Wine: A fruity concentrated Italian rosato, such as 2009 Di Giovanna Gerbino