Top | Candy
(recipe, Katie Hickey)
Originally got this recipe from the Kitchn
- 1 lb. unsalted butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 8 oz. good quality semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- ¾ cup chopped toasted blanched almonds
- Line the bottom and sides of a 10-inch x 15-inch baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large cast iron skillet, melt the butter over medium high heat. As the butter melts, stir in the sugar and salt. Continue stirring constantly and rapidly with a wooden spoon, keeping the sides of pan clean by brushing occasionally with a wet pastry brush. The mixture should bubble as you stir. Cook until the mixture turns a deep golden brown, taking care not to burn it. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Pour the mixture into the lined baking sheet. Allow to cool slightly, about 5 minutes, then sprinkle the mixture with the chocolate. When the chocolate looks glossy, spread it with an offset cake spatula or a wooden spatula, and sprinkle with the nuts. Gently press the nuts into the chocolate with the palms of your hands.
- Cool completely (at least 6 hours) then break the toffee into chunks.