Top | The Frugal Foodie Cookbook
Honey, Thyme, Pear, and Goat Cheese Sandwiches
(recipe, Alanna Kaufman & Alex Small)
Roasting the pears with honey and thyme lends them a distinct savory-and-sweet taste, and we adore the novelty of using fruit in a sandwich. We usually make these as tea sandwiches for a quick snack, but you can do them full-size as well.
- 2 bunches fresh thyme sprigs
- 3 Bartlett pears (about 1½ pounds), cored and sliced
- ¼ cup honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 slices honey-oat bread (try Honey-Oat Bread)
- 4 oz. goat cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the thyme sprigs on a baking sheet; place the pear slices on top. Drizzle with the honey and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake 15 minutes, until the pears are tender. Let cool on the baking sheet.
- Lightly toast the bread; spread each slice with a layer of goat cheese. Arrange the pears on half of the slices, then form 4 sandwiches and cut each into quarters.