Top | Pasta
Homestyle Macaroni and Cheese
(recipe, Matthew Barker)
It's not a lowfat casserole, but it's so delicious you won't care. Add leftover ham for an even heartier meal.
- ½ lb. macaroni
- ¼ cup butter
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- ½ lb. low-fat cream cheese, softened
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- ½ lb. sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook macaroni (½ pound= 2 cups dry) until just al dente.
- You can use elbows for a traditional look, but try scoobi-doo-- it works well in this recipe.
- Drain pasta well.
- While the mac is boiling, melt the ¼-cup butter in a large pot.
- Whisk in the flour.
- Over med heat, whisk until smooth and bubbly (only about a minute).
- Stir in milk, cream cheese, salt, pepper& mustard.
- Keep cooking and stirring until sauce is thickened-- about three or four minutes.
- Cut the block of cheddar into half-inch cubes.
- Add drained macaroni and cubed cheddar& combine well.
- Pour into a casserole sprayed with Pam.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and sprinkle over top.
- Dust with paprika if desired.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until top is golden brown and casserole is heated through.