Top | The Treasury of Newfoundland Dishes
(recipe, Sally West & Newfoundland Home Economics Association)
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 can (15 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ¼ cup sifted brown sugar
- Beat the eggs, granulated sugar, salt, evaporated milk, water, and vanilla together in a bowl.
- Spread the sifted brown sugar over the bottom of a 1½-quart casserole dish. Pour the custard over the brown sugar.
- Place the casserole in a pan of hot water and bake in a 350-degree oven for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 1 hour, then invent the custard over a plate. The brown sugar will form a sauce.