Top | Jamie Oliver's Meals in Minutes
Pregnant Jools's Pasta
(recipe, Jamie Oliver)
- 4 scallions
- 1 carrot
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 to 2 fresh red chiles
- 6 good-quality sausages (approx. 14 ounces)
- 1 heaping teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 lb. dried penne
- 4 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes
- A few sprigs of Greek basil, or regular basil
- Get all of your ingredients and equipment ready. Fill and boil the kettle. Put a large frying pan on a high heat. Put the standard blade attachment into the food processor.
- Trim the scallions, carrot, and celery. Roughly chop all the vegetables, then blitz in the food processor with the chiles (stalks removed). Add the sausages, 1 heaping teaspoon of fennel seeds, and 1 teaspoon of oregano. Keep pulsing until well mixed, then spoon this mixture into the hot frying pan with a lug of olive oil, breaking it up and stirring as you go. Keep checking on it and stirring while you get on with other jobs. Put a large deep saucepan on low heat and fill with boiled water. Fill and reboil the kettle.
- Top up the saucepan with more boiled water if needed. Season well, then add the penne and cook following the package instructions, with the lid askew.
- Crush 4 unpeeled garlic cloves into the sausage mixture and stir in ¼ cup of balsamic vinegar and the canned tomatoes. Add a little of the starchy cooking water from the pasta to loosen, if needed.
- Drain the pasta, reserving about a wine-glass worth of cooking water. Tip the pasta into the pan of sauce and give it a gentle stir, adding enough of the cooking water to bring it to a silky consistency. Taste, correct the seasoning, then tip into a large serving bowl and take straight to the table with the rest of the Parmesan for grating over. Scatter over a few basil leaves.