Top | A Cook's Book of Mushrooms
Ragout of Hedgehog Mushrooms with Tangerines and Curry
(recipe, Jack Czarnecki)
Tangerines give this dish a citrusy burst in the mouth.
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 1 lb. fresh hedgehog mushrooms
- Juice of 1 orange
- ½ tsp. dried savory
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 3 tangerines, peeled and sectioned into small pieces, pith removed as best as possible
- Place the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until just barely soft, about 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms and continue to sauté for 5 minutes more.
- Add the orange juice, savory, curry powder, and salt, and heat for 1 minute. Add the cream and heat until the mixture begins to thicken. Add the tangerine sections and heat for 2 minutes more. The mixture should be thickened enough so that the sauce does not run. If not, continue to heat until it reaches that point. Serve immediately.