Top | Savita Iyer-Ahrestani
Farshid's Unorthodox Diwali Beef Curry
(recipe, Savita Iyer-Ahrestani)
Note: This dish requires a pressure cooker.
- 3 tsp. vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 1 clove
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 cardamom pod
- 2 lb. beef (steak works best), cut into mid-sized chunks
- 1 tsp. ginger and garlic paste (available in all Asian stores)
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- ½ Tbsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. fennel seeds
- 3 mint leaves
- 4 or 5 tomatoes
- Salt and garam masala powder to taste
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish
- Freshly steamed rice
- Fry the onions in the vegetable oil over a medium flame along with the whole spices until pink in color. Add the beef chunks and fry over medium heat until the meat is brown and coated by the onion mixture. Add all the remaining spices and the mint leaves, and fry together. Add the tomatoes and fry together for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the meat to a pressure cooker and add enough water to cover it. Close the pressure cooker and increase the heat. Turn off the pressure cooker after the whistle has blown four times, to ensure the meat is fully cooked. Open the pressure-cooker lid and simmer the meat, adding salt and garam masala to taste. Serve with the cilantro and rice.