Top | Desserts
(recipe, Katie Hickey)
Rcipe fron Orangette. Make it with whatever fruit is in season.
- 3 medium black plums, pitted and cut into eight wedges each, or a handful of cherries, unpitted, or whatever fruit is available
- 3 large eggs
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 0.5 tsp. vanilla extract (or a little almond extract, expecially with cherries)
- A pinch of salt
- ½ cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
- Powdered sugar, for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, and lightly butter a 9-inch pie dish*. Arrange the plum wedges or other fruit, skin side down, in a decorative pattern on the bottom of the dish.
- Whisk the eggs and sugar in a medium bowl until pale yellow, about 1 minute. Add the milk, vanilla, and salt, and whisk to combine.
- Sprinkle the flour over the batter, and whisk until smooth. Pour the batter gently over the plums, trying to disturb them as little as possible (some will float and move around no matter how gentle you are). Bake the clafoutis until puffed and nicely golden around the edges, about 45-50 minutes. Remove the clafoutis from the oven, and allow it to cool for a half hour or so, during which time you’ll see it deflate and settle a bit. Serve it warm or at room temperature, dusted with powdered sugar.