Top | Shoshanna Cohen
Carob Mousse Pie
(recipe, Shoshanna Cohen)
I've adapted this recipe from The Complete Carob Cookbook. All of the parenthetical comments are mine.
- 4 oz. carob chips
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 Tbsp. date or brown sugar
- 1 package (3 oz.) cream cheese, softened
- 1 container (8 oz.) non-dairy whipped topping, thawed
- 1 (8-inch) graham cracker crust, prepared (I used one from Epicurious, which ruled)
- Heat the carob and 2 tablespoons of the milk in a saucepan over low heat, stirring until the carob is melted. (When I did this it made a funky paste, but it worked in the recipe.)
- Beat the sugar into the cream cheese, add the remaining milk and the carob mixture, and beat until smooth. (You will want to do this with some sort of electrical appliance. I used a food processor, which I had out anyway for the graham-cracker crust.)
- Fold the carob mixture into the whipped topping, blending until smooth. Spoon into the crust. Freeze until firm, about 4 hours.
Store any leftover pie in the freezer, or in the fridge, which makes it easier to cut and get out of the pan.