Top | Betty Crocker Cookbook
(recipe, Betty Crocker Editors)
- 4 medium tart cooking apples, sliced (4 cups)
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup all-purpose flour (see Note)
- ½ cup quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats
- ⅓ cup butter, softened
- ¾ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¾ tsp. ground nutmeg
- Whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease the bottom and sides of an 8-by-8-inch square baking pan.
- Spread the sliced apples in the pan. Mix the remaining crisp ingredients together and sprinkle the mixture evenly over the apples.
- Bake the crisp for about 30 minutes or until the topping is golden brown and the apples are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.
Self-rising flour can be used.
Culinate editor's notes: Peeling the apples before slicing them results in a softer, easier-to-eat crisp. A large handful of finely chopped walnuts, plus a handful of raisins, add flavor, crunch, and chew to the topping.