Top | Savory
Miso-Marinated Chicken Breasts With Shiitake Mushroom Pan Jus
(recipe, Anna Conley)
Serve with cooked soba and strands of thinly sliced or julienned zucchini.
Per serving: 200 calories, 29 g protein, 10 g carbohydrate, 4 g fat (1 g saturated), 73 mg cholesterol, 529 mg sodium, 1 g fiber.
- 3 to 4 heaping tablespoons shiro miso (white miso)
- 1 tsp. sugar, or to taste
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 4 Tbsp. chicken broth
- 1 in piece ginger, peeled
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 6 dried shiitake mushrooms
- Olive oil spray
- Combine the miso, sugar, half the green onions and chicken broth in a bowl. Place the ginger in a garlic press and squeeze the juice into the bowl; discard the solids. Stir the miso mixture to combine. Set aside.
- Cut the chicken breasts horizontally into two pieces each, so that you end up with 2 chicken medallions for each person.
- Put the chicken breasts in the bowl with the miso mixture and toss to coat. Cover and chill at least 2 hours.
- Place shiitake mushrooms in a saucepan and add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, or until mushrooms are tender, adding water to keep the level just above the mushrooms. Let cool, then remove from pan, reserving cooking liquid, and cut off the stems; these are tough to chew and swallow. Squeeze the mushrooms dry and set aside; strain the cooking liquid by pouring it through a fine-mesh sieve or coffee filter.
- Remove the chicken breasts from the marinade and pat them dry with a paper towel; reserve the marinade.
- Heat a heavy nonstick frying pan over medium heat, then spray with oil.
- Place the chicken gently in the hot pan and, depending on the thickness, cook for 4-6 minutes on each side, or until the chicken is just beginning to feel firm and is golden on the outside. Do not overcook; the chicken will finish cooking in the sauce.
- Remove the chicken from the pan, then add the mushrooms and mushroom liquid and cook over high heat until liquid is reduced to a few tablespoons. Stir in the reserved marinade and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, add chicken, and cook 2-3 minutes or until no traces of pink remain. Taste for seasoning, and add soy sauce or miso, as needed.