Top | Breakfast
Swedish Oven Pancake
(recipe, Kim Carlson)
More thick custard than puffy crêpe, this "pancake" is the centerpiece of a substantial breakfast.
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. butter
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 6 large eggs
- 4 cups milk
- 1 lemon, sliced into wedges
- Raspberry jam
- Place butter in a 10-inch, oven-proof frying pan, and place pan in oven. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a deep mixing bowl and blend well. (An electric beater works well for this, but whisking will do.)
- When oven has reached 375 degrees, remove hot pan and pour in batter. Carefully return pan to the oven (it will be full) and bake for 50 minutes. Check to see whether the center is set. If not, continue to bake, checking every 5 minutes.
- When the pancake is set in the center, remove from the oven and let rest 5 minutes. Serve warm, with wedges of lemon and raspberry jam.
Low-fat milk is plenty rich for this recipe.