Top | Bluebird CSA
Cinnamon Oatmeal Apple Bread
(recipe, Bluebird Farmers Market & CSA)
This very delicious Rustic Apple Bread recipe was adapted from 'Morning Muffins' http://bit.ly/morningmuffins using the ingredients which came in our weekly Bluebird CSA share box. http://www.bluebirdcsa.com
- ¾ cup whole oats
- 1¼ cups whole wheat and/or oat flour (we used ½ portions of each)
- 6 oz. local honey
- ½ t. cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ginger
- 1 cup Georgia pecans, broken in large pieces
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ cup sunflower oil
- 1½ cups cooked, Georgia grown apples (chopped, peeling left on, simmered in ½ cup water until soft)
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla
- ½ cup pure water
- Optional: 1 T. whole oats topping
- Optional: ½ t. sea salt
- Place chopped apples with skin left on and ½ cup water in saucepan on medium heat and simmer until soft --but not applesauce.
- While apples are simmering, in a medium bowl, whisk together sunflower oil, honey and vanilla.
- In a large bowl, stir together flours, whole oats, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Add oil, honey and vanilla to dry ingredients.
- Stir in apples and pecans until moistened.
- If needed to make spoonable batter consistency, depending on apple liquidity, you may add ½ cup pure water and stir.
- Spoon batter into oiled pyrex loaf pan.
- Sprinkle 1 T. of whole oats on top and lightly press into batter.
- Bake at 300 degrees F for 45-60 minutes, or until the top is golden and springs back when lightly pressed. You may also insert a toothpick and if it comes out clean, your apple bread is ready.
- Allow to cool about 20 minutes in pyrex dish.