Top | Cathy Whims
Carciofi alla Romana (Roman-Style Stuffed Artichokes)
(recipe, Cathy Whims)
- Half of a lemon
- 4 large artichokes
- 3 Tbsp. fresh mint
- 3 Tbsp. fresh Italian parsley
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 6 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup white wine
- Fill a bowl with water and squeeze in lemon juice. Trim artichokes (for instructions, see Kelly Myers' column about prepping artichokes) and keep them in the lemon water.
- Chop herbs and garlic together finely. Mix with 2 Tbsp. olive oil and ¼ tsp. salt.
- Put a good-size spoonful of mixture into each artichoke, tucking it in between the leaves, and reserve the rest.
- Place artichokes, stem up, in a heavy pot just large enough to hold them snugly. Sprinkle the remaining herb mixture over the artichokes and drizzle with 4 Tbsp. olive oil. Pour in wine to a depth of ½ inch.
- Cover pot and place over medium heat. When liquid boils, turn heat to low. Put a towel or parchment paper between lid and pot, cover again, and put a weight on pot to keep it well sealed. Cook until artichokes are very tender, about 40 minutes.
- When tender, uncover pot and let juices boil away until only the oil remains, allowing artichokes to cook a few minutes in just the oil. Serve hot.