Top | Betty Crocker Cookbook
(recipe, Betty Crocker Editors)
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅔ cup milk chocolate chips or 3 bars (1.55 oz. each) milk chocolate, broken into small pieces
- ½ cup chopped nuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, stir the butter, brown sugar, vanilla, and egg yolk until well mixed. Stir in the flour and salt. Press the dough into a greased 9-by-13-inch pan.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until very light brown (the crust will be soft). Immediately sprinkle the chocolate chips over the hot crust. Let stand about 5 minutes or until soft; spread the chocolate evenly. Sprinkle with the nuts.
- Cool 30 minutes in the pan on a wire rack. To cut into bars easily, cut into 8 rows by 4 rows while still warm.
If using self-rising flour, omit the salt.