Top | How to Cook Indian
(recipe, Sanjeev Kapoor)
This is one of my favorite desserts — a traditional festive sweet, but one of the easiest to make when you're in a hurry. Bhapa in Bengali means "steamed." And doi means "yogurt."
- 1 can (400 grams) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup (250 grams) thick plain yogurt, whisked
- 1 cup (200 ml) milk
- 15 raisins
- 10 almonds, blanched and slivered
- 15 pistachios, blanched and slivered
- Put the sweetened condensed milk in a bowl. Add the yogurt and whisk. Add the milk and whisk again until well blended.
- Add the raisins, almonds, and pistachios, and stir well.
- Transfer to the top part of a steamer. Cover with aluminum foil and place the top on the steamer. Place the steamer over high heat and add 2 cups (400 ml) water. When the water comes to a boil, place the container with the milk mixture in the steamer, cover, and steam for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from the steamer, remove the foil, and set aside to cool to room temperature. Place the bhapa doi in the refrigerator to chill. Slice and serve chilled.