Top | In the Small Kitchen
(recipe, Cara Eisenpress & Phoebe Lapine)
- 1½ cups frozen blueberries or raspberries, or a mix
- 3 Tbsp. sugar, or slightly more, depending on how sweet the berries are
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- Pinch of salt
- Combine 1 cup of the berries and the sugar in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce the heat and simmer for about 5 minutes, until the berries have released quite a lot of juice.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, make a cornstarch slurry: mix the cornstarch and the pinch of salt with 2 tablespoons water until dissolved.
- Add the cornstarch slurry to the berries and stir to combine. Cook for another 2 minutes, until the compote has thickened.
- Add the remaining ½ cup berries, cook for 1 minute, and then set aside. If necessary, rewarm before serving.
Culinate editor's note: If you're making this sauce to accompany Baked French Toast, you'll probably want to double or even triple it, in order to have enough for everyone.