Top | Keri Fisher
Baked Pita Chips and Purple Dip
(recipe, Keri Fisher)
Read more about make-ahead kids' lunches in the article "Snack time."
- 3 whole-wheat pitas, cut into 6 wedges each
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small tomato, diced
- 1 small clove garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp. ground cumin
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush each side of the pita wedges with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and lay in a single layer on a baking sheet. Bake 12 to 14 minutes, or until golden-brown and crisp.
- Combine remaining ingredients in the bowl of a food processor and process about 1 minute, or until mixture is smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.
The pita chips can be held at room temperature, tightly wrapped, for 2 to 3 days.
You can replace the canned beans with freshly cooked, drained, and cooled beans if you like.