Top | Linda Ziedrich
Pickled Snow Peas
(recipe, Linda Ziedrich)
- 1¼ cups white-wine vinegar
- 1¼ cups water
- 1 Tbsp. pickling salt
- 1 Tbsp. white sugar
- 1 lb. snow (or snap) peas, stemmed and strung
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 or 2 small dried chiles, slit lengthwise
- 1 or 2 sprigs of fresh tarragon
- In a saucepan, bring to a boil the vinegar, water, salt, and sugar, stirring to dissolve the salt and sugar. Let the liquid cool.
- Pack the peas into a quart jar along with the garlic, the hot pepper or two, and the tarragon. Cover the peas with the cooled liquid, and close the jar with a plastic cap.
- Store the jar in the refrigerator for at least two weeks before eating the peas. Chilled, they will keep for months.