Top | WFM Recipes
(recipe, Williamsburg Farmers Market)
Modified from the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving & the recipe inside of the Ball pectin box. This recipe uses 12 cups of blueberries to turn out two different products. You will end up with approximately 8-8 oz jars of syrup (depending on how long you cook it down) & 5-8 oz jars of jam (depending on how much sugar you add). This recipe was demonstrated by Two Girls and a Hammer at the “Discover You Can” canning demonstration at the Williamsburg Farmers Market on June 11, 2011.
- 12 cups blueberries (about 6 pint containers)
- 6 cups sugar, divided (maybe be less-you can use 1-3 cups for jam)
- 2 cups corn syrup
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lemons
- 1 box Ball No Sugar Needed Fruit Pectin
- Prepare canner, jars, & lids.
- In a stainless steel stock saucepan, combine blueberries with 3 cups water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring & crushing mixture with a potato masher. Reduce heat, stirring & crushing mixture with a potato masher. Reduce heat & boil gently, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Transfer blueberries to a dampened jelly bag or a strainer lined with several layers of dampened cheesecloth set over a deep bowl. Let drip until 5 cups juice has been collected, adding water if necessary to yield the required quantity. Set juice aside. Set left over pulp aside in separate bowl.
- BLUEBERRY SYRUP
- In a clean large, deep stainless steel saucepan, combine 1 cup water & 3 cups of the granulated sugar. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Stir in blueberry juice, corn syrup & lemon juice; return to a boil. Reduce heat to a medium-high & boil steadily, stirring occasionally, until mixture is slightly thickened, about 35 minutes. Remove from heat & skim off foam.
- Ladle hot syrup into hot jars, leaving ¼ inch headspace. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Screw band down until resistance is met, then increase to fingertip-tight.
- 6. Place jars in canner, ensuring they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil & process for 10 minutes. Remove canner lid. Wait 5 minutes, then remove jars, cool & store.
- BLUEBERRY QUICK JAM
- Blueberry pulp from above recipe
- 0-3 cups sugar
- 1-1.75-oz pkg Ball No Sugar Needed Fruit Pectin
- Prepare boiling water canner, jars, & lids.
- Put blueberry pulp in large stock pot with about 1 cup of water. You may need a little more water, you are looking for a thick, jam like consistency not a pulpy, paste. It will, of course, thicken more as it cools & sets. Gradually stir in Ball No Sugar Needed Fruit Pectin. Add up ½ tsp butter or margarine to reduce foaming, if desired. Bring mixture to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down, over high heat, stirring constantly.
- Add sugar up to 3 cups depending on taste. Return mixture to a full rolling boil. Boil hard 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam if necessary.
- Fill and seal jars. Process in hot water bather canner for 10 minutes.