Top | WFM Recipes
Pasta la Awesome
(recipe, Williamsburg Farmers Market)
This recipe was created by the Toano Middle School Cooking Club Recipe Contest Team for the Let’s Move Campaign’s Recipe for Healthy Kids Challenge and was demonstrated at the Williamsburg Farmers Market’s Children’s Day on June 4, 2011 by SHIP (School Health Initiative Program).
- 11 oz. Rotini, whole grain
- 1½ tsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic, minced
- ⅛ cup carrots, raw, chopped
- ⅛ cup red pepper, diced
- ⅛ cup kale, raw, chopped (stems removed)
- ⅛ cup baby spinach, raw
- 2 Tbsp. tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp. chicken bouillon granules, low sodium
- 8 oz. water
- ½ tsp. lemon juice
- Cook Rotini according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, chop carrots, peppers, kale and tomatoes. Mince garlic.
- Pour oil into skillet and heat over medium high heat. Add seasonings. Add minced garlic, carrots and peppers.
- Sauté over medium high heat until they are slightly softened.
- While veggies are sautéing, mix bouillon and water to make broth.
- Add broth to veggie mixture and stir.
- Add kale and spinach, and sauté over low heat until they reduce to about half size.
- Add tomatoes. Stir gently to heat throughout.
- Mix cooked drained pasta into veggies. Toss with lemon juice. Stir to heat throughout.
- Serve warm.