Top | WFM Recipes
I'm Muffin It!
(recipe, Williamsburg Farmers Market)
This recipe was created by the Toano Middle School Cooking Club Recipe Contest Team for the Let’s Move Campaign’s Recipe for Healthy Kids Challenge and was demonstrated at the Williamsburg Farmers Market’s Children’s Day on June 4, 2011 by SHIP (School Health Initiative Program).
- 1 cup butternut squash, cooked, without salt (Note: 3 pounds of whole, fresh butternut squash yields about 4 cups of cooked butternut squash. Extra cooked squash freezes well for future use.)
- 1 cup wheat flour, whole grain
- 6 oz. skim milk
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 4 Tbsp. margarine
- ¼ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1½ tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Cut whole, fresh butternut squash in half. Place open side down in baking dish. Add ½ inch of water to baking dish. Bake in preheated oven about 35 minutes, until squash is fork tender.
- Heat oven to 375°.
- Allow squash to cool. Scrape flesh from skin. Measure 1 cup of cooked squash and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix flour and baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon & nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl, blend margarine & sugars. Add egg. Add vanilla extract. Add milk. Mix until blended.
- Add wet to dry ingredients. Stir gently and completely.
- Add butternut squash. Stir gently.
- Portion approximately ¼ cup of muffin batter into each muffin tin cup.
- Bake at 375° for 20 minutes until lightly browned and cooked throughout.