Top | WFM Recipes
(recipe, Williamsburg Farmers Market)
The recipe was demonstrated by Two Girls and a Hammer at the “Discover You Can” canning demonstration at the Williamsburg Farmers Market on May 28, 2011.
- 4 lb. ripe berries
- 0 to 3 cups sugar (depending on taste preference-we use 2 cups)
- 1 packet Ball pectin No Sugar Needed formula
- tiny bit of butter
- 1½ Tbsp. of dried lavender
- COOKING DIRECTIONS:
- Wash and hull berries, let drain.
- Add dried lavender to berries when you get about a cup hulled. This will give it time to rehydrate.
- Keep adding berries on top of the lavender.
- Pulp the berries to desired consistency.
- Put crushed berry/lavender mixture (4 lbs should be approx 7-8 cups of berries) into a stockpot, gradually add pectin and bring to a full rolling boil over high heat. You may add the butter to reduce foaming if desired.
- Add sugar and stir constantly as it returns to a boil.
- Boil hard for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, skim foam if necessary.
- Put in jars and process according to instructions below with ¼” headroom.
- Note: This jam needs 10 minutes processing time at sea level. Different times are needed for different food at different altitudes.
- PROCESS INSTRUCTIONS:
- Clean jars, rings and lids (wash lids by hand, jars rings, utensils etc. in dishwasher.) Keep lids and rings warm (crock-pot works well!)
- Sterilize jars in boiling water (this can take 30+ minutes)
- While jars are being washed and sterilized, prepare food.
- When food and jars are ready, remove jars from boiling water and fill with food (leave headroom according to individual food directions).
- Apply lids and rings fingertip tight, return to water, add enough water to cover jars 1-2 inches and return to boil. Boil for time indicated by food type.
- Turn off stove and remove jars from canner, set on towel to cool. Ensure all jars are sealed before storing.