Top | Ivy Manning
Aunt Vie's Cornbread
(recipe, Ivy Manning)
Serve this with Bacon-Braised Turnip Greens.
- 1 cup fine cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- ⅓ tsp. salt
- ¾ cup milk
- ½ cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 2 eggs
- 6 Tbsp. melted butter, cooled slightly
- 1 cup corn, preferably freshly shaved from cob
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9-inch-square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray or melted butter.
- Whisk the dry ingredients together in a large bowl until well combined.
- In another bowl, whisk the milk, sour cream, eggs, and melted butter together until blended. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until just blended.
- Gently fold the corn into the batter and spread the mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 40 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
Read more about leafy greens in Ivy Manning's story "Top of the heap."