Top | Savory
Asian Turkey Burgers
(recipe, Anna Conley)
- 1 lb. ground turkey breast
- 2 Tbsp. hoisin sauce (see Kitchen Notes)
- 2 tsp. soy sauce (reduced sodium preferred)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced (white and green parts)
- 2 tsp. minced ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper (or less—see Kitchen Notes)
- ½ cup bread crumbs (see Kitchen Notes)
- freshly ground black pepper
- canola oil
- 4 hamburger buns (I used whole wheat)
- For Sriracha Mayonnaise:
- 3 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. Sriracha Hot Sauce (see Kitchen Notes)
- Make the burgers. Combine ground turkey, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, green onions, ginger, garlic cayenne pepper, bread crumbs and a generous grind of black pepper in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly by hand. Form into 4 patties. Heat a grilling pan over a medium-high flame (you can use a large skillet, but grilling pan is preferred—you can also grill the burgers). Brush the grilling pan lightly with canola oil and toast the cut side of the buns in batches; set aside.
- Brush the pan more generously with oil and cook the burgers until just cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Use a quick read thermometer to make sure the burgers reach an internal temperature of 165ºF.
- Meanwhile, make the Sriracha mayonnaise. Crazy easy. Put the mayonnaise and the Sriracha Hot Sauce in a small bowl and mix with a spoon. Done.
- Assemble the burgers. Also easy. Bun, burger and a smear of Sriracha mayonnaise. You can add some lettuce or tomato slices, but I would discourage it. These are quite tasty on their own.