Top | Vegan Cooking for Dummies
Cashew "Cheese" Spread
(recipe, Alexandra Jamieson)
Cheese is one of the foods many would-be vegans have a hard time living without. This easy recipe offers a wonderful replacement that uses simple ingredients and techniques that any kid can handle.
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water overnight and drained
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse for 20 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and pulse for another 20 seconds.
- Scrape down the sides again and blend until smooth and creamy. Add additional olive oil, 1 teaspoon at a time, to achieve your desired consistency.
- Serve with crackers or vegetable sticks or spread on fresh bread.