Top | Helen Rennie
Lentils with Caramelized Onions
(recipe, Helen Rennie)
To elevate lentils from the ranks of health food to a dish of marvelous complexity, just add some caramelized onions. The sweetness of the onions provides a perfect contrast to the earthiness of the lentils.
- 1 cup dry du Puy lentils, cooked according to the recipe for Basic Lentils
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- ½ tsp. balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Set a medium-sized, heavy skillet oven medium heat. Add oil and butter. When butter is melted, add the onion and a generous pinch of salt. Turn down the heat to medium-low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender and medium-brown, about 40 minutes.
- Add balsamic vinegar (optional) and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are dark nutty brown, about 10 minutes.
- Drain lentils and add to onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until lentils are warmed up, 5 to 10 minutes.
This recipe comes from Helen Rennie's article about lentils.