Top | Sara Perry
Mrs. Neuman’s Icing
(recipe, Sara Perry)
Use this icing to frost Gingerbread Men.
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- ⅓ cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. pure lemon extract
- 4 to 6 Tbsp. whole milk or cream, plus more if needed
- 2 to 3 drops food coloring, if desired
- In a medium bowl, beat together the powdered sugar, butter, salt, vanilla, lemon extract, and 3 to 4 tablespoons milk until blended. It will be lumpy. Stir in the remaining milk until it reaches a spreading consistency. If desired, divide the frosting in half and add food coloring to one half, mixing until the color is uniform. Using a small spatula, spread the colored icing over the cooled cookies. Place the white icing in a pastry bag fitted with a star tip and pipe designs, or spread the white icing over the plain cooled cookies and decorate as desired.
Culinate editor's notes: Don't be tempted to skip the lemon extract in this recipe; the lemon flavor really balances out the spicy gingerbread. Also, consider making only a half-recipe, as this batch of frosting is quite generous in quantity.
This recipe comes from Sara Perry's article on holiday desserts.