Top | Sara Perry
(recipe, Sara Perry)
Who says hard sauce is plum pudding’s best friend? It’s a wonderful companion for gingerbread as well as other unfrosted holiday cakes and cookies.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- ½ tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice, heavy cream, or cognac
- In a mixing bowl, using the electric mixer set on medium speed, beat the butter, sugar, and lemon zest until smooth and creamy. Beat in the lemon juice until blended. Set aside in a cool place for 1 hour before serving.
- Serve over warm gingerbread. Refrigerate any remaining sauce in a covered container for up to 1 week.
This recipe comes from Sara Perry's article on holiday desserts.