Top | Shoshanna Cohen
(recipe, Shoshanna Cohen)
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 heaping teaspoons baking powder
- ½ scant teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- ⅓ (generous) cup oil
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- 2 12.0 oz. cans poppy seed, apricot, or prune filling (see Note)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease cookie sheets.
- Sift together all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the eggs, oil, and orange zest. Mix well until the dough leaves the side of the bowl and sticks together in a ball (you may need to use your hands).
- Take the dough, a third at a time (keep the rest covered so it won't dry out), and knead it lightly until smooth. Roll it out ⅛-inch thick (sort of thin) and cut it into rounds using a cookie cutter or drinking glass.
- Drop a spoonful of filling into each round, and pinch together to make a triangle shape. Bake the cookies on the greased cookie sheets until brown, 15 to 30 minutes.
Look for Solo brand poppy seed filling, apricot filling or prune filling in 12-ounce cans.