Top | Post Punk Kitchen Recipes
Red Curry Soup with Rice & Purple Kale
(recipe, Carrie Stewart)
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced medium
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
- ¾ cup basmati or jasmine rice, rinsed
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 to 3 Tbsp. red curry paste
- 1 bunch purple kale, pulled from stems and torn into bite size pieces
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled, cut into ½ inch chunks
- 1 can lite coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp. agave syrup
- Juice of one lime
- Optional: fresh chopped cilantro to garnish
- Preheat a 4 quart soup pot over medium heat. Saute onion in oil with a pinch of salt for 5 minutes or so, until translucent. Add garlic and ginger and saute a minute more.
- Add rice, vegetable broth and salt, cover pot and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, lower heat to simmer. Mix in 2 tablespoons curry paste. Add kale and sweet potatoes. Cover pot and let simmer for about 15 minutes, until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Add coconut milk, agave and lime. Taste for salt and flavor. Add more curry paste if you like.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately, or even better let it sit for 10 minutes to give the flavors a chance to meld. Top with fresh chopped cilantro if you like.