Top | Shoshanna Cohen
Cultural Mongrel Cabbage Slaw
(recipe, Shoshanna Cohen)
- 1 lb. cabbage (a mix of purple and green is nice), sliced very thin
- Some green onions, thinly sliced
- A few carrots, shredded
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 2 tsp. sesame oil, preferably the dark toasted kind
- ¼ tsp. red-pepper flakes or Sriracha hot chile sauce
- 2 tsp. black sesame seeds, plus more to taste
- Mix the slaw ingredients together. (You can layer them in a Pyrex bowl or clear Tupperware container, and it will look nice in a way that speaks to the authentic cultural heritage of the suburban Midwest.)
- Mix the dressing ingredients together in a bowl or shake them together in a jar.
- Pour the dressing over the salad. Sprinkle with extra sesame seeds, if you like.